Lyneham was mentioned for the first time in 1224. The area has always been agricultural, with several farms scattered around the hamlet all responsible for working the land. In earlier times, the land had belonged to the priory at Bradenstoke-cum-Clack and together, it was the centre for growing flax. Lyneham’s original name, Linen Hamlet, originated from the growing of the flax crop, fibres of which were used to make linen cloth.
There is evidence of a pottery from medieval times at Lyneham as kiln ash, iron slag, and quantities of medieval sherds of the 13th and 14th centuries date were discovered when foundations were dug recently in Farthing Lane. In the first part of the 20th century most of the village population worked in local pursuits such as agriculture or the sawmills, some went to work for the Great Western Railway in Swindon, and others went to Calne to work for the bacon factory.
The former RAF Lyneham air force base (now MOD Lyneham) is at Lyneham. The RAF’s C-130 Hercules fleet was based here until June 2011 and C-17 Globemasters from RAF Brize Norton made frequent visits. RAF Lyneham ceased operations in 2012 and all operations were transferred to Brize Norton in west Oxfordshire, 35 miles (56 km) to the northeast. Construction is underway to redevelop the base to house the proposed tri-forces Defence Technical Training College, which is scheduled to become operational in December 2015.
Lyneham is a large village in north Wiltshire, within the civil parish of Lyneham and Bradenstoke, and situated 4 miles (6.4 km) southwest of Royal Wootton Bassett, 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north of Calne and 11 miles (18 km) southwest of Swindon.
Calne Rd, Lyneham, Chippenham SN15 4PT, UK